When it involves website design, there are numerous different styles and directions during which your website can go: it are often anywhere from classy to minimalistic, from playful and vibrant to sleek and modern.
While your final look-and-feel should exude your personal style, line of labor , and brand identity, there are a couple of ground rules that are always applicable.
Great web design feeds into your user experience and functionality while being easy to know initially glance. Below we’ve gathered five simple website design tips to assist make your site effective and compelling:
Web design tips for a knowledgeable website
- Keep your homepage minimalistic and a clutter-free design
- Design with visual hierarchy in mind
- Create easy to read website content
- Ensure your site is straightforward to navigate
- Stay mobile friendly (oh definitely yes!)
01. Keep your homepage minimalistic
Your website’s homepage should communicate your core message instantaneously. After all, we rarely read every word on an internet site. Instead, we quickly scan the page, picking out keywords, sentences, and pictures. With these known behaviors in mind, it’s better to appeal to emotions instead of word count.
The fewer site visitors need to read, click on, or remember, the higher they’ll be ready to process and evaluate your content. By designing for decreasing attention spans, it’s more likely that users will do what you plan them to try to to.
These simple website design tips will assist you to hack your content and bring a presentable and alluring homepage design:
- Keep important content above the fold: Visitors should understand what your website is all about as soon as possible, without having to scroll or click anywhere.
- Space out your content: Employ whitespace in between elements. By leaving some areas blank, you’ll give the planning away from a more spacious, well-balanced feel. As for your text, write in bite-sized, legible paragraphs.
- Add imagery: High-quality media features like beautiful photographs, vector art, or icons, will do wonders as other ways to speak your point.
- Include a call-to-action: From making a sale to signing up, encourage site visitors to perform the action you intended by placing a call-to-action (CTA) button on your site’s homepage.
02. Design with visual hierarchy in mind
Hierarchy is a crucial principle of design that helps display your content during a clear and effective manner. Through the right use of hierarchy, you’ll be ready to lead site visitors’ attention to certain page elements so as of priority, starting with the foremost significant piece.
The main components of visual hierarchy are:
- Size and weight: Highlight your top assets, like your business name and logo, by making them larger and more visually prominent. Readers tend to naturally gravitate towards large and bold titles first, and only then advance to smaller paragraph text.
- Element placement: Use the proper website layout to steer your visitors’ eyes in the right direction. as an example, you’ll place a crucial call-to-action button at the very center of the screen, or position your logo at the header.
Once you determine a transparent hierarchy for your information, readers can’t help but unconsciously follow the breadcrumbs you’ve got left for them. Then, apply color, contrast, and spacing for further accentuation, remaining mindful of what’s drawing the foremost attention and ensuring that it’s always intentional.
Some powerful web design elements to assist you to achieve a robust visual hierarchy are strips or grid layouts, like that of the Gallery. For more ideas and inspiration, inspect our designer-made website templates.
03. Create easy to read website content
“Readability” measures how easy it’s for people to acknowledge words, sentences, and phrases. When your site’s readability is high, users are going to be ready to effortlessly scan, or skim-read, through it. This way, taking within the information becomes effortless.
Achieving website readability is comparatively easy; try these key rules:
- Contrast is key: Sufficient contrast between your text color and therefore the background color is vital for readability, also as for website accessibility. While your website colour scheme is probably going to be representative of your brand colors, confirm that there’s sufficient contrast between your elements. To do so, try using a web tool, like Contrast Checker.
- Large letter size: most of the people will struggle to ascertain smaller fonts. A typical rule of thumb for web design is to stay your body text a minimum of 16pt. That’s an honest place to start out , but confine mind that this number completely depends on the fonts you select for your website.
- Type of fonts: the planet of typography offers many sorts of fonts at our disposal. you’ll choose from serif fonts (that have little projecting lines on the ends of letters, like Times New Roman) to sans serifs, which accurately means “without serif.”
Sans serif fonts are typically the simplest choice for lengthy online texts – just like the one you’re currently reading. you’ll also create interesting font pairings by mixing these differing types together. For your logo design, there are many logo fonts available.
There also are many display fonts that are more on the ornamental side, like script fonts that look handwritten. If you’re going for one among those, confirm to not overuse it, so on avoid an awesome effect.
- Limit the amount of fonts: Don’t use quite three different typefaces throughout one website. Some projects may involve more elaborate font combinations, but too many varied typefaces usually appear cluttered, distracting from your brand identity.
- Utilize text themes: to determine a transparent hierarchy, confirm that your written website content is varied in size and weight – from an outsized title to smaller subheadings, to the even smaller paragraph or body text. This handy website design tip can make sure that there’s always something drawing readers’ attention.
04. Ensure your site is straightforward to navigate
It may be in your nature to interrupt the mold, but website navigation isn’t the place to be avant-garde. After all, you would like your users to simply find what they’re trying to find . additionally , a site with a solid navigation helps search engines index your content while greatly improving the user experience:
- Link your logo to the homepage: This website design tip may be a common practice that your visitors are going to be expecting, saving them some precious clicks. If you don’t have already got one, it’s highly recommended to make your own logo as a part of your branding efforts.
- Mind your menu: Whether choosing a classical horizontal list, hamburger menu, or anything , your website menu should be prominent and straightforward to seek out . additionally , make certain that it’s structured consistent with the importance of every section.
- Offer some vertical navigation: If your site is of the long-scrolling variety, like a one-page website, use an anchor menu. With one click, viewers are going to be ready to quickly jump to any section of the location . an alternative choice to think about is that the ‘Back to Top’ button, which leads visitors to the highest of the page wherever they’re on your site.
- Work on your footer: Your footer is perhaps the last item to be seen on your site, and it’s an honest idea to put all of your important links there. this might include your contact information, social media icons, and a shortened version of your menu, or the other relevant links that visitors may have .
05. Stay mobile friendly
All of your site visitors should be ready to enjoy your professional website at its absolute best , regardless of the device they’re browsing. We already create a mobile-friendly version of your site, in order that you’ll keep step with the increasingly mobile world.
Go over your site’s mobile version while putting yourself within the position of the user, and test out every page, user action, and button.
Your mobile website should be cleaner and fewer cluttered than your desktop version, so consider minimizing page elements and cutting down some assets, just like the menu. There also are unique mobile features that you simply can use to spice up your mobile design.
One among the foremost important website design tips is actually the only – shop around for website inspiration! flick through a number of the simplest website designs and skim abreast of the newest web design trends. you’ll also explore a number of these outstanding websites to urge your creativity going.